Do Pick Up Lines Really Pick Up People?

Erica Bergman laughs as Aaryn Frewing uses a pick-up line on her.

Emily Baer, Sierra Reams, Erica Bergman, and Aaryn Frewing

Emily Baer, Staff Reporter

Have you ever been hit on by someone who used a cheesy pick-up line? Many of us have had an experience like this, and it hopefully has resulted in a funny memory that left a good impression. There are so many different pick-up lines that people use. Some examples are:

“Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”

“Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only ten I see.”

“Are you google? Because you have everything I’m searching for.”

“Are you religious? Because you’re the answer to all my prayers.”

“Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I just scraped my knees falling for you.”

“Can I take your picture to prove to my friends that angels really do exist?”

“Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peeling.”

“Do you have a map? Because I keep getting lost in your eyes.”

“I must be a snowflake because I’ve fallen for you.”

“If you were a book I would check you out.”

“Did you have lucky charms for breakfast? Because you look magically delicious.”

We all find pick-up lines amusing. The cliché phrases meant to woo a person of interest can be some of the funniest compilations of words you will ever hear. However, do these pick-up lines actually work? There is no doubt that everyone reacts differently in the situation where a pick-up line is being used on them. Some people laugh, some scowl, and some just brush it aside. Freshman Kyren Ostler said, “Pick-up lines are really stupid, but they’re also really funny.”

Everyone reacts differently to pick-up lines. However, the most common reaction seems to be laughter. Most people just cannot take someone seriously when they’re using pick-up lines. Sophomore Natalie Draper said, “If someone used a pick-up line on me, I would probably laugh and then go home and watch Netflix.”

Laughter is often the way people respond when a pick-up line is being used on them. So can pick-up lines really pick-up people? Most likely not. Pick-up lines are thought of as jokes to various amounts of people, and would not be the most sufficient way to attract a person of interest. However, on the rare occasion that a pick-up line does work, then you should feel accomplished that you have achieved an unlikely goal.