The ‘friend zone’ can be a tricky place

Sam Perrins, Staff Reporter

Too many times, we read in books about people falling in love with no trouble. We see a man or woman easily win the heart of someone, and they ride off into the sunset together. Here in reality, however, more and more people are single, heartbroken, and wondering why their soul mates haven’t made themselves known. Sometimes the reason matches are never made is because something affected the relationship and at least one of the two parties lost interest. One of these anti-love movements is something that almost everyone has become acquainted with: The friend zone.
Friend zoning is when someone is convinced they have found the Juliet to their Romeo, or vice versa, and instead of sharing the same feelings as this person, the person one cares about says something along the lines of “Oh, I’m flattered, but I think we should stay friends.”
Usually the person who is put in the friend zone feels worse than the one turning them down.
Sophomore Nathan Acevido-Simo says, “The friend zone is kind of like a deep pit. There’s nowhere you can escape to, and all you can do is just sit and slowly die.”
We as humans are naturally drawn to things we can’t have. So when people are put into the friend zone, getting out of it is all that matters. Sophomore Zach Hubbard is one of the many victims of friend zoning. “I have been in the friend zone and it’s not fun. You try so hard to get this girl, then they hint that they just want to be friends, and you’re just sitting there like ‘Well great,'” says Hubbard.
Of course, it would be equally hurtful and unfair if you were forced to love someone you didn’t want to love, all because they had feelings for you. This is where the friend zone comes in handy. Freshman Macy Christianson has been in this situation, and she has used this popular tactic to her advantage.
“Yeah, I have put someone in the friend zone before,” says Christianson. “I think it was the fair thing to do because I didn’t like him that way.”
It’s very painful, but most times people use it to reject you in the nicest way possible. Christianson says, “I feel like it’s the right thing because I don’t want to ruin our relationship as a friend.”
People can sometimes use this to be mean to others. They view people as unworthy of their love and put them in the dreaded friend zone all because they’re “out of their league.” Sophomore Mackenzie Armitage finds this view unfair. “You shouldn’t stop talking to someone because they like you and you don’t like them back.”
Sometimes the friend zone is the only option to keeping a friendship stable, because lying about your feelings could have bad outcomes. Letting people down gently is okay, but playing with people’s feelings is not. Be sure to use the friend zone properly if needed, and keep in mind the person who’s being denied and how they react to rejection.