#What’sTrendingThen: Auburn competition ends marching band season

Emily Aardahl, Opinion Editor

The general atmosphere in the huddle at the Scarlet Tide Marching Band’s last practice was one of deep satisfaction, shot through with a hint of tiredness. For many seniors, this was the last practice of their high school marching career, and for freshmen, this was the first of many last practices.

Not many people can say that they’ve put over a hundred hours of work into something, and even less will be willing to admit that their subject of work could still use some improvement. But as with all arts, marching band can always use improvement: the technique can always be better, the louds can always be louder, the quiets can always be quieter. It’s an activity that never really reaches its peak, and it teaches its participants to keep working even if the goal seems unreachable.

When that seemingly unreachable goal has been reached, if only for a moment, band members usually have what is referred to as a ‘transcendent moment.’

“The best part is around the middle of the show when you realize ‘This is it,’” said junior Amon Montgomery. “This year has been pretty good compared to my freshman year. Everything’s easier now because I’m older and I understand more.”

Part of the band’s Auburn trip this year was attempting to pass on this general idea to next year’s incoming freshmen. The Scarlet Tide stopped and performed for students at Desert Hills Middle School before continuing their trip up to Auburn, where the band would perform in the Veteran’s Day Parade and in the field competition on Saturday, Nov. 8.

The band ended the season fourth in their division, with a score of 82 out of 100. Compared to the finals score at the Cavalcade of Bands, the first competition of the year, this is more than twenty points of improvement. Kamiakin’s marching band also took home the caption award for best music in their division, and took fifth place overall in the parade competition.