Anti-bullying week separates the big and little elephants

Kennedy Bailey

Jacob McLain, Editor

So, are you a big elephant or a little elephant?  Are you the bully or the bullied?  On Monday April 14 Stu Cabe’s anti-bullying speech didn’t just inspire students to make a change, he separated the big elephants from the little elephants; the little elephants prove their smallness by saying things like “This is so lame! Bullying isn’t even a problem!” while the big elephants accept that bullying is a problem and it must be dealt with. Bullying is a problem, even if the little elephants choose to ignore it.

Each day for the rest of the week, Kamiakin students protested the different types of bullying. On Tuesday, students were asked to wear blue to protest cyberbullying. With technology constantly becoming a bigger part of our lives, bullies have moved to harassing people online more and more.

After fighting cyberbullying, students were asked to wear no make up to school on Wednesday. To the little elephants, it does not matter who the person is deep down.  The only thing that has any value is what you look like. Physical beauty will only take you so far in life, but being yourself will take you much farther. History remembers and is defined by someone’s achievements; it does not remember people’s body shapes, or their hair styles but rather their achievements, their innovations, their intellects. In the end, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

Thursday was Free Hugs Day, where many students walked around with a sign saying ‘free hugs’ and would give the sign to whoever hugged them. This was to show that we are never alone; there is always someone to help us when we need support. To finish up anti-bullying week, students were asked to reflect on the past few days so that anti-bullying week would not be forgotten.

ASB spent effort and time to help students remember that bullying is never okay.  It is never right or just to put someone down to elevate yourself. We are all human, with the same emotions and the same feelings. At the end of the day, we are one tribe, one nation, one human race.