Varsity Softball Tied for Fifth at State

A team picture of the girls after state, "19+1"

Rhiannon Rogers, Staff Reporter

The varsity softball team experienced another winning season. Coach Bisson and Coach Carlson have trained and pushed these athletes to be their best and perform at their highest level.

Many of the athletes on this team are part of the Angels, which is a league team outside of school. Many of the girls play together during the school softball season and out of season making them a stronger team of unity.

Their practices contain a series of drills with fielding, batting, catching and throwing. The team does a warm up lap around the fields and stretch. The girls do team bonding as well, such as Secret Sister and having team dinners.

These girls battled their best with 19 girls, plus one including Kate Austin at the state tournament last weekend. The girls honored Kate by hanging her jersey she wore last year, no.18.  They also printed a picture of Kate to keep her memory alive and her smile there to support the girls on the field. The girls won two games against Shadle Park and Edmonds-Woodway on Friday afternoon.

Senior Tawny Becker (the varsity catcher) said, “The season went well, lots of excitement!”

Although the girls struggled against Everett High School and Meadowdale High School and lost both games tying for fifth at state, overall it was a season they can be proud of.

“It didn’t end the way any of us wanted to, but then again not everything goes the way we wish they would. It was a great experience, and I’m glad I was able to be one of the few to go through it,” said Becker.

After state, the team honored Kate by circling around her jersey for a moment of silence. The team usually does a moment of silence for Kate Austin, but this time, it seemed more solemn and special since they were at state. They honored her jersey to commemorate her. Kate Austin’s photo and jersey was in the dugout every game this season because she is always with them. Coach Bisson usually takes 20 girls to state/ post season, but this time 19 went, and the 20th spot was for Kate. The team’s motto was “19+1 Strong.” They also had the motto, “State for Kate” that they wrote on vehicles and said to each other.

For the seniors, it was their last game playing in high school softball. The goodbyes were bittersweet, but the girls fought their hardest and played their best.