Dress code is a sexist outdated system

your e cards

Emily McKinnon, Opinion Editor

Where do I even begin? The dress code has always been a touchy subject with the school district. They feel like what they are doing is the right thing to do for all of the students’ education, but it is causing distress and flat out annoyance. What schools want to say they made the dress code for was to prepare students for the real world and what life would be like with a job. Sadly, that isn’t really what it is doing.

The dress code mainly caters to the boys’ needs in learning, and not really the girls at all. While boys can practically wear whatever they want and never get dress-coded, a girl can’t even wear so much as a pair of shorts in the summer time when it’s 100+ degrees outside because it’s “distracting” for the boys. We as girls can’t wear tank tops unless they have a thick strap because somehow our shoulders and collar bones are a major education block. We can’t wear shorts or skirts unless they are to our knees or longer. Last time I checked, we aren’t in the 1950’s, and our thighs aren’t much to look at. We also can’t wear crop tops because our stomach is a sight to see, for who I’m not quite sure yet. Overly baggy pants and super tight pants aren’t allowed either along with jeans that have rips and tears too high up the leg. Baggy pants can be fixed with a belt, and last time I checked, girls wear leggings to school all the time including me because it’s one the of things that isn’t targeted by security along with sweats. Jean rips and tears aren’t like an open door. They don’t show much of anything and are practically irrelevant. Did I mention cleavage isn’t allowed either? The problem with this is most girls can’t exactly control how much they have, and most of all shirts have the same size neck loop unless you want to walk around in a turtle neck all year round.

Those are just a small portion of the dress code rules, mainly as you can see, focused on what girls wear. The only thing turned at the guys is overly baggy pants. But, most guys with baggy pants don’t even wear belts and as they walk down the hall, their legs are spread wide just enough to keep their pants above their knees but just enough so you can see every last bit of their boxers. I don’t see any security telling them to change, go get new pants, change into their gym clothes, or anything else. There in lies the problem.

Dress codes are not only sexist, but they make believe that every single girl alive has the exact same size body and shape. A crop top on someone 5′ 9″ will be shorter than on someone who is 4′ 11″. Same for shorts, skirts, and any other article of clothing. Some people have longer torsos and shorter legs or visa-versa. Many girls are told all the time to go change or go home. How can going home help their learning, and how can their outfit be so bad that it needs that drastic of a consequence? Boys are the only people protected by the dress code, and girls are the only people targeted. This is because boys for some odd reason can’t control themselves if they see a girl’s shoulder, collar bone, stomach, back, too much or their chest, or any part of their legs-period. But, on the other hand, boys can walk around with their butts hanging out of their pants as long as it is covered by their underwear and their pants are at least somewhere on their legs. Now I know if I did that I would be sent home immediately and my education would be disrupted, but a guy can do that for a week in a row and never get sent home or much less even talked to about it, leaving his education intact. Hopefully though he doesn’t get to his next class and isn’t able to pay attention due to all of the girls’ shoulders, legs, and various body parts. But a girl couldn’t even focus in class because she was too worried that she would be dress-coded and sent home.

Students weigh in on this sensitive issue:

Jenna Ellis (junior)

Q: “Have you personally been dress-coded? What for?”

A: “Yes, I’ve been dress coded. My freshman year on the second day of school, I had to go through four pairs of shorts because I kept getting dress-coded because they were ‘too short’ but in reality, I just have long arms and my butt cheeks weren’t visible even when I sat down. I have also had to put duct tape over a hole in my jeans that was ‘too high up’ when it was three inches below my pocket.”

Collin Jackson (junior)

Q: “How has the dress code affected you?”

A: “The dress code hasn’t affected me at all, but I have noticed it has affected others.”

Jacob Dickie (senior)

Q: “Do you think the dress code is sexist?”

A: “I think it is a little sexist because it mostly tells girls what they can’t wear and most of the stuff isn’t even distracting to guys.”